Body mods

For your Ford Focus related discussion
Doc
Car: to many to list

I know this has nothing to do with tuning or performance, but I didn't know where to post this.

I have had this idea running through my head for a while about building a 2 door wagon. I would start with a wagon body, and with much modification, use the doors from a ZX3. I've done some measuring on a couple of my parts cars I really think it's feasible. The 2 biggest issues I see are quarter glass and interior panels. I think I have a solution for quarter glass though.
Any thoughts on this idea? Not worth the effort, everyone would just point and laugh? Has it already been done? If so, photos would be nice.
ZX3_HORNET_RACER
Car: 2001 ZX3 HORNET

you know my opinion, DO IT! i personaly would love to see a 2 door coupe
Doc

Last edited by Doc on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

You say that now, but I bet that changes when you see the donar ZX3 I'm picking up today. It would be a good candidate for you to build into another race car. :lol:
2 door coupe idea is interesting too.
On another note. I called a couple days ago, did you get my message?
harold
Car: '06 BMW 330i

Do it.
Focus: singular
Foci: plural
Not interchangeable
ZX3_HORNET_RACER

harold wrote:Do it.
if anyone can "doc" can do it and make it look factory
PBZX3

Wouldn't it be easier to start with and ZX3 and add the wagon ass end to it?
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
Steve@Tasca
Midget

If he started with a ZX3 he'd have to graft in the entire roof panel from the windshield back.

I'd guess the "easiest" method would be starting with a wagon and grafting the doors together to form one long door, the issue then is rigidity of the body.

A fair number of the two door sedan street rods you see these days that are fresh builds began life as four doors but since real two doors are getting scarce and expensive the builders are turning to four door cars and converting them.

Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
ZX3_HORNET_RACER

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:I'd guess the "easiest" method would be starting with a wagon and grafting the doors together to form one long door, the issue then is rigidity of the body.

Yep, Doc did my first race car for me from 2 cars...

Doc

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:I'd guess the "easiest" method would be starting with a wagon and grafting the doors together to form one long door, the issue then is rigidity of the body.
That there was pretty funny, at first I thought you were serious. :shock: Once I pictured in my head how long, and stupid looking, weldling the front and rear doors together would be I knew you had to be joking though.
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

start with 3 door .remove 2 inch from lenghth of door. move b pillar . graft roof and rear of ztw on. boom dun! 8)
Image wink wink.....bitches
ZX3_HORNET_RACER

that doesnt make sence to me :lol: cutting a door would be dumb, way to much work, plus would look dumb, i think most (or all) 2 door cars have long doors like ZX3's have
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Doc wrote: That there was pretty funny, at first I thought you were serious. :shock: Once I pictured in my head how long, and stupid looking, weldling the front and rear doors together would be I knew you had to be joking though.
Right, because you couldn't possibly adjust the length of the door to get it properly proportioned, right?

I suppose you could use a ZX3 door but I think you'd have to alter the window frame due to the way to door and body line run together.

I also wasn't kidding about the street rod guys doing it and when it's done right you would never know the car started life as a four door.

Sometimes they graft doors together, sometimes they just section the door and add a piece of steel to achieve the proper length.

It's also been done by modding the body and using an actual door from a two door and tweaking the bodywork.

ZX3_HORNET_RACER

obviously people do it on custom cars, or cars that wernt made in 2 door models, but the zx3 door is the right size so its not necesary to build doors. also it would be a ton of work to make interior door panels that looked factory for a custom length door
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Body mods ARE a ton of work.