Need to borrow a spring compressor

For your Ford Focus related discussion
harold
Car: '06 BMW 330i

I finally got an internal spring compressor so I could install the SVT rear springs I've had for about 5 years and found out the one I have won't work. Anybody have one I could use? I really don't want to get another one and all the ones I've seen for rent are the same style as what I've got.
Focus: singular
Foci: plural
Not interchangeable
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Picture of said compressor?

If it's the one I think it is you just have to take it apart and put the pieces up into the spring and then screw it back together again. You may also need to either cut the bolt shorter or else make a spacer out of something to stop the bolt from hitting the bottom of the car before the spring is fully compressed.

-Steve
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
harold

I did take it apart and put a big spacer in there, but with the arms as far to each end as I could get them, the blocks were only about an inch apart. The arms are just plain too long. I've seen pictures of the ones with a pair of plates that go over the coils, but I couldn't find those for under $250. It's possible the Performance tool one won't work while another brand will, I guess. Do you have a picture of the one you used?

I posted a picture, but then I realized it's a slightly different style than what that picture showed. I think I realized the issue with it. The hooks on mine can swivel 180 degrees instead of hitting a stop a little past 90 degrees open like the ones I'm seeing. I may just need to return this one to Summit since it's not really as pictured.
Not interchangeable
Steve@Tasca
Midget

The one I've used looks like this,

I did run in to an issue like you're describing with one of the tools I borrowed, I ended up using a hammer to basically "screw" the ends into the springs to get the most possible distance between them and even then it was a bit of a struggle getting the springs in and out but I managed.

Another trick I've learned is that you can wedge a 2x4 up in the subframe and then have someone push down on it against the lower control arm to gain an extra inch or two of clearance, just be carefull where you put it or you can damage the evap stuff that's in there.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
WASaZX3pos
Car: 01 Canary Yellow zzzZX3

I have a double set that sits on the outside or inside of the spring i think.
harold

WASaZX3pos wrote:I have a double set that sits on the outside or inside of the spring i think.
Those won't work on the rears. You need the internal ones with a single screw.

I'll give it another shot with the ones I've got, but I'm not holding out too much hope. I did find one report of somebody getting a set at the Autozone rental that had a pair of hooks at the end, but a plate that went at the other end. I think that would do quite nicely, so I'll see if I can find one of those if I can't get mine to work for me.

I'm almost tempted to make my own with a spring perch off some car or another.
Not interchangeable
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:The one I've used looks like this,

I did run in to an issue like you're describing with one of the tools I borrowed, I ended up using a hammer to basically "screw" the ends into the springs to get the most possible distance between them and even then it was a bit of a struggle getting the springs in and out but I managed.

Another trick I've learned is that you can wedge a 2x4 up in the subframe and then have someone push down on it against the lower control arm to gain an extra inch or two of clearance, just be carefull where you put it or you can damage the evap stuff that's in there.
This is what I have. Done probably 10-15 rear sets of springs. I cut the threads almost in half and have multiple nuts slid onto the the shaft as spacers. If you want to borrow it let me know