SVT timing belt-IMPORTANT!!

For your Ford Focus related discussion
hermitmaster
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37x

Just got my timing belt done and the belt still looked like new after 80k miles. :) The idler and tensioner on the other hand...
OrangeCrush 86

I have the tool (the bar for locking the cams and the stop to find TDC) to do this if anyone would rather borrow it than buy their own. Cost me $40 or so if I got an equal value deposit to ensure it was returned in good shape I'd be happy.
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

OrangeCrush 86 wrote:I have the tool (the bar for locking the cams and the stop to find TDC) to do this if anyone would rather borrow it than buy their own. Cost me $40 or so if I got an equal value deposit to ensure it was returned in good shape I'd be happy.
i made one from some left over shelving at work for free. 8)
Image wink wink.....bitches
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

So, I'm approaching 90K on my SVTF, and want to properly maintain the car, but don't want to spend money for nothing. Here's a couple of questions:
1) Did anyone have a timing belt failure on an SVTF at less than 120K (the recommended change interval)?
2) Steve: Did you show this to Ford? If so, what did they say? If not, shame on you. :lol:
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Plenty of guys have had them fail at less than 120k on SVT's, even regular Zetecs have had them fail at less than 120k.

I'd say get it done and do it soon, if you need help with it PM Focusmech.73155. He helped with mine and he's a great guy to have work on your car.

It's unfortunate that Ford didn't put a mileage specification on the SVT but they didn't. DO NOT go by the 120k number they put on a Zetec.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
ZX3_HORNET_RACER
Car: 2001 ZX3 HORNET

I have replaced two factory belts, one car had 100,000 miles the other had 110,000 miles, they were both severly cracked. Worse then the pictures shown.
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:It's unfortunate that Ford didn't put a mileage specification on the SVT but they didn't. DO NOT go by the 120k number they put on a Zetec.

... they didn't expect the SVT's to make it to 100K :lol:

For reference the belt on my zetec broke at about 93,000? miles, on Christmas day as I was going to my aunt's. Fun times.
--John
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

Okay, I'm convinced.
But how about belt quality? Does anyone make a better-quality belt than Ford?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Brake-Late
Car: pitch black 03 svt focus

just finished mine 2003 SVT,no cel and runs alot better it appered cam timing was off from the factory! not too bad of a job to do with the timing tools :) and a bunch of special tools that i did not have, but do now 8) I also have the ztec and svt timing belt procedure pdf files if anyone needs em :D

Tools I did not know i needed (I allready had the massive timnig tools)
1 T55&T50 torx bits-northen tool $12 set
2 E18 Reverse torx bit-northern tool $14 set
3 torque wrench that goes to 120 nm-home depot husky 1/2" $75
4 crank pully holding tool (I used a chain vice grip)-autozone $25

save yourself the trouble and make sure you have these!!!-worst part of the job was trying to find tools :lol:

BTW if your doing plugs too. buy those first as well another PITA to locate for SVTs not easy on a sunday...

Thanks Steve@tousley for the parts!
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

Brake-Late wrote:just finished mine 2003 SVT,no cel and runs alot better it appered cam timing was off from the factory! not too bad of a job to do with the timing tools :) and a bunch of special tools that i did not have, but do now 8) I also have the ztec and svt timing belt procedure pdf files if anyone needs em :D

Tools I did not know i needed (I allready had the massive timnig tools)
1 T55&T50 torx bits-northen tool $12 set
2 E18 Reverse torx bit-northern tool $14 set
3 torque wrench that goes to 120 nm-home depot husky 1/2" $75
4 crank pully holding tool (I used a chain vice grip)-autozone $25

save yourself the trouble and make sure you have these!!!-worst part of the job was trying to find tools :lol:

BTW if your doing plugs too. buy those first as well another PITA to locate for SVTs not easy
on a sunday...

Thanks Steve@tousley for the parts!
Trust me its not that its a svt, its more the stoner behinde the computer that hates his job and has minimal knowlage of cars at best. These are the people i deal with on a daily basis. Its not like having parts guys like steve who know the parts and common problems and has a firm grip on how the systems work....we love you steve!
Image wink wink.....bitches