TrueCar

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

Anyone have any experience using TrueCar.com??? Seems like a helpful website, but not sure if the pricing information is truly "the best deal" or not.
Comments?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

I'm not sure I believe their claims.

A car dealer is a business.
It's not conducive to business to cut it's profit margin W/O knowing the difference won't be made up by volume.

I look at TrueCar as more of 'fear mongering' advertising than anything; similar to CarFax.
I would guess that if you could trace TrueCar back far enough, you'd find some relationship with a large dealer network. If a dealer wasn't part of that network, they had to price their cars accordingly anyways to be competitive. Large set the market for all.
Or at leas that's how I'm looking at it.

I don't see anywhere for dealer installed options of add-on options.
I ran a car from Tousley vs their price, not sure if I did things correct, but the price disparity was far greater than I would have thought; better part of $3,000 dollars. I just don't believe that.
A dealership that has the volume of Tousley has no reason to over price cars that much and I really doubt they are. I know there are different purchase plans, but even those won't knock $3K off.

I think to be safe I'll just call their 'service' automotive terrorism.

This techy generation just takes all the fun out of buying a new car. Part of which was visiting different dealers, test driving and dealing with salesmen used to be part of the fun.
--John
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

iminhell wrote:This techy generation just takes all the fun out of buying a new car. Part of which was visiting different dealers, test driving and dealing with salesmen used to be part of the fun.
Wow, you certainly have a different perspective than I do. Dealing with the typical car salesman/woman and the sales hierarchy is equivalent to a root canal, in my humble opinion!
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Never had a root canal, so I can't feel your pain.
I just enjoy listening to the BS salesmen can come up with. I don't ever play my hand so they are all but clueless as to how much or little I know. I just find it comical how they always talk like I'm an idiot. There's been a couple who actually knew their shit and I would call car guys. By the majority though, bunch of morons who didn't read any further than the brochure. And being I'm not that dyslexic ...

I don't buy cars anyways. Only car I've bought was the Focus, 13 years ago. LOL I just have fun pushing buttons and trying to find a good salesman.
Actually the lady who I bought my Focus from wasn't too bad. ... and I've been wondering if that Jen is the same SVT Chick on here, IIRC she's a Jen also. But it really wasn't a hard sell fro her. I knew what I wanted and basically walked in the door and said sell me this car, stock # blah blah blah.

Just have to remember that most any dealer can trade to get a car you want. So it's there loss if you walk out the door laughing because of a dolt of a salesman. You have to be able to laugh at them or you'll just get so frustrated you don't want any car from anyone.
--John