Have a new car.... that has random parts falling off!

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
ford06
Car: Black 01 Merc. Cougar C2

Been a while since I was on here. Most of you knew me with the stock 2008 4 door Vista blue Focus SE. Sold that to my dad. Got a Cavalier and just didn't seem right to be hanging out with a ford group driving a Chevy! lol. It was a peice of junk anyway. I sold it and got a 2001 Mercury Cougar C2 ( I'll put pics up soon) Love the Cougar a heck of a lot more than the Cavalier....but anyway. Here's the funny part-

I got the cougar on the 14th. I knew it needed some minor work ie Belt needed to be replaced and at least 1, possibly 2 O2 sensors need to be replaced. Well the belt broke on me on Monday afternoon.When the belt broke, a pulley snapped off as well. We thought it was the idler pulley.... Got it brought to a shop. Guy claimed the pulley didnt belong there. So I had it brought to a different shop. Was told the same thing. Finally brought it to one last shop...again was told the pulley wasnt suppose to be on my engine... Sooo....where the heck did this pulley come from?!?!?!?! We cannot figure it out. Car runs a heck of a lot better since I got the belt replaced but it seems a little odd that a pulley would magically fall off the engine.
Also, I had one guy try to tell me my car has a supercharger on it. He claims that the C2 Cougar comes factory with a supercharger on it. Anyone else heard anything about this?!?!

In case you are interested in looking into this- Its the 2001 Mercury Cougar C2 with the 2.5L V6 engine. I haven't been able to find anything about the car coming stock with a supercharger on it, but I know you can get them for the car.
HotRodWagon
Cajun Mafia
Car: 01 Street Wagon/02 ZTW

No for oem s/c unless someone put one on, pulled it off, and left the pulley behind which seems unlikely but could be the case.
...always in focus...
...costra nostra tobasco
Redlineracer12
I is speshul
Car: 00 Contour SVT

There was like one or two companies that made supercharger kits and they all sucked. The C2 was nothing more than a fluff package. Little interior/exterior tweaks for looks.

Maybe take a picture and point out where the pulley was and what the pulley looks like, I know the cars pretty well.
3 Fords, 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Pre-1999 belt diagram:

Post-1999 belt diagram:

See where the pulley would have been?
What other conclusions might you be able to draw from this? maybe that the engine has been replaced?
--John
MadCat
Car: 01 Black Cougar C2

Some how I locked myself out of my other account Ford06-

Basically if you look at the diagram for Post 1999 the unwelcome pulley was between pulley #1 and #3 straight across from #5. THe unwelcome guest was about 4in across in size. Car has been running fine since the unwelcome pulley came off and the belt was correctly put on.

Other conclusion-
whoever had the car prior to me, and the previous owner I got the car from did not know crap about cars! lol. Still have a few minors fixes to do on it. ie- coolant tank level sensor is shot, alignment, 02 sensor cirrcuit is bad...just not sure which sensor it is but we think it is post cat converter. I did get a new code today though- P0141 which came up as 02 sensor heater circuit. So I am not sure if it is the same 02 sensor acting up or if it is two different ones.

please forgive me for not putting up pics yet. I am in the process of moving so things have been a little hectic! But I will put some up, I promise.

Redline- Compared to my past 2 cars this thing is like a Porsche lol! But I still miss my 08 Focus.
HotRod I did consider that. I know 2 owners ago a younger guy had the car ( the glove box was packed full of parkign and speeding tickets! so obviously the guy beat the car pretty hard and it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to fix something himself and didn't fully know what he was doing. But I did not think there was an internal S/C on the car like the one shop was trying to claim.
---MadCat---
Redlineracer12
I is speshul
Car: 00 Contour SVT

The old Vortech supercharger kit used to have a jackshaft that was driven off the accessory belt and ran all the way across between the radiator and front exhaust manifold to the supercharger that was over near the transmission. I would consider this rather unlikely though since those kits had a very high rate of failure (like 100% due to jackshaft bearing issues).

There is a national forum for that body style cougar over here: http://www.newcougar.org Good source for parts and information. Also, since the drivetrain is almost identical, you can get a lot of the same information based on the Ford Contour.
3 Fords, 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha