Throttle issues...

For your Ford Focus related discussion
SVThead
Car: 03 SVT Focus, 72 vette

My '03 SVT Focus is apparently having issues with the throttle. Major bog with middle to heavy tip-in, no issues with light tip-in. It's throwing codes and the check engine light is on. Had it checked out and among the many codes (misfire, etc) it threw out Throttle position sensor.

Did a little research and it sounds like the coil could cause this as well.

Anybody have any experience with this before I start throwing parts at the problem?

It does have 96000 miles on it.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

What codes is it throwing?
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
SVThead

I'll have to go back and get the codes read again, since it came back. I didn't get a read out of the codes.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Well if it threw a TPS code I guess I'd probably try that first since they're relatively cheap and easy to replace.

But yeah, get the codes read again.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
SVThead

Okay, code pulled up the Throttle position sensor (p0122) so I ordered one and installed it last night. So far so good...
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte
Car: 02 SVTF

If you're light on it, is it fine? I had a heavy foot sputter, and a light foot nothing for a while, and all I did was change out the plugs and wires and it went away. Those and the TPS, like Steve said, would be my first guesses, and both are really cheap fixes. GL
SVThead

Stilz wrote:If you're light on it, is it fine? I had a heavy foot sputter, and a light foot nothing for a while, and all I did was change out the plugs and wires and it went away. Those and the TPS, like Steve said, would be my first guesses, and both are really cheap fixes. GL
Yeah, that was it. Wires are pretty solid, changed plugs less then 10K miles ago. Swapped out the TPS and it's running solid. Threw some HEET in the gas tank, just in case there was water as well. I was getting a check engine light.

When I was swapping out the TPS, I did find condensation on the metallic part. I'm wondering if that's why it was acting up intermittently.